Shawn Kemp Shares The Story Of How Larry Bird Destroyed Him After Breaking All His Records In Indiana

View the original article to see embedded media.

If you're an NBA fan, you know that Larry Bird had a reputation as one of the best trash-talkers in the league. Historically, few people come close to his level. 

The Boston Celtics legend always made rivals pay, and Shawn Kemp learned that the hard way. When he was a rookie, he faced Bird, and the 3x NBA champion was ready to let him have it. 

In an appearance on The Players' Tribune's Knuckleheads, Kemp recalled the first time he went against Bird and how hostile No. 33 was with him. Larry didn't appreciate Shawn breaking his records in Indiana and made a statement in their first NBA duel. 

“We were playing the Boston Celtics, so the great Larry Bird. I’m from Indiana and Larry’s from Indiana,” Kemp said. “I knew about the history of Larry, but I didn’t realize how he really got down.” Kemp quickly got a taste of how Bird played the game and how he wasn’t afraid to talk trash.

“Larry gave me 50 [points] in three quarters. And he talked to me the whole entire game. He asked me at the jump ball, ‘You’re the one that broke all my records in high school right?’ and I said, ‘Yeah, that’s me.’ and he said ‘I’ve got something for you tonight,'” Kemp said. 

Bird finished the night with 40 points, 11 rebounds and 10 assists to dominate Shawn and his Sonics. He was on a mission that game, ready to demolish that rookie's confidence as soon as possible. 

Kemp ended up having a good NBA career, taking Seattle to the NBA Finals in 1996, facing another all-time trash-talker like Michael Jordan. He faced big rivals during his career, but Larry Legend going at it in their first game definitely marked the big man. 


Post a Comment

0 Comments