CJ McCollum Fires Back At Haters: "I Get My Respect On The 1st And The 15th. I Don’t Need People To Like My Game, I Don’t Need People To Say Great Things About Me.”

NBA.com

View the original article to see embedded media.

CJ McCollum is trying to compete again in the 2021/22 NBA season. The Portland Trail Blazers haven't found their touch this campaign, as they try to adapt to new head coach Chauncey Billups after an offseason where the roster didn't get any major upgrade. 

The veteran shooting guard is helping Damian Lillard to compete in a stacked Western Conference, but inconsistency has been the rule for them. The situation doesn't look promising for this team, but they're still trying to show a good face every time they step on the court. 

McCollum has been one of the best sidekicks in the league, yet he gets a lot of criticism without any reason. Still, he keeps his head up and his mind focused on helping his team thrive. Talking with Casey Holdahl, CJ explained his approach to the game, claiming he's not paying attention to what people are saying about him. 

“I don’t have to answer to anybody,” said McCollum. “I answer to my Lord and Savior, I don’t answer to nobody else. I’ve got nothing to prove to nobody.”

He took a shot at his doubters, reminding them that the checks keep coming while they're throwing shade. He says that the people who really know the game respect him and that's what really matters. 

But while McCollum says he doesn’t require the validation of his detractors, he’s not above not-so-subtle suggestions that the aforementioned don’t necessarily have it all figured out either.

“I get my respect on the 1st and the 15th,” said McCollum. “I don’t need people to like my game, I don’t need people to say great things about me. I get great deposits, my teammates respect me, the staff respects me, the organization respects me and I think that’s what really matters. And those who know basketball, I think they respect me, too. I go hoop man. I heard what was said about me, I hear what’s said about me all the time. And I go do my job.”

In six games, McCollum averages 24.3 points, 3.7 rebounds and 3.5 assists with the Blazers. They rank 8th in the West with a 3-3 record. After a tumultuous offseason full of rumors about Damian Lillard's future, they returned to action trying to compete for a playoff spot and nothing more. 

CJ has been linked with a move away from Moda Center, which won't stop for the rest of the season. He remains focused on doing the best with the Blazers, although 'the best' means getting the 8th seed in the West. 


Post a Comment

0 Comments