Anthony Davis On LeBron James' Absence: "It’s A Good Test For Me."

The New Yorker

View the original article to see embedded media.

Since Anthony Davis arrived in Los Angeles, he has worked closely alongside Lebron James to usher in a new era of greatness for the Lakers.

But now, With LeBron James set to miss more time this season, AD is going to have to lead a team on his own for the first time since he left New Orleans.

Speaking to Yahoo Sports, the 6x All-Star spoke about the task of carrying this Lakers squad without his co-star, stating that it will serve as a test for both him and the team as a whole.

“It’s like I’m being tested with my leadership,” Davis told Yahoo Sports. “'Bron has been out with injuries and now also with the COVID situation, so it’s a good test for me. It's a good experience for me to lead these guys and the good thing about it, I have other vets on my side who’ve been in the game for a while to help me through the obstacles. It’s a good test, not just for our team, but for me to lead these guys."

"I’m just taking that next step in leadership to my career,” Davis told Yahoo Sports. “I’m going to lead the team my way. I’m trying to be one of the guys to express how he feels in our locker room. [Rajon] Rondo, ’Melo [Anthony], Russ [Westbrook] have all been encouraging me to use my voice because I’m normally a really quiet guy when I’m playing and the only time I really talk is when I get tipped over the edge. But they’ve been telling me to ‘Use your voice. Use your voice.’"

Davis, 28, was a key player in the Lakers' title run in 2020. His dominance on both ends of the floor gave them a solid and consistent presence on the interior that teams could not overcome at the time.

Unfortunately, the 17x Champions have been unable to return to that level of play, and that has to do with the health of Lebron James.

This season, the King has already missed multiple games, and he's set to miss even more after entering COVID-19 health and safety protocols on Tuesday.

It's up to Anthony Davis to carry the burden and hold down the fort until his return.


Post a Comment

0 Comments