Damian Lillard On Facing The Warriors: "I Would Say I'm Usually At My Sharpest Or Trying To Be At My Best When I Play Against The Warriors.

Credit: USATSI
View the original article to see embedded media.

Damian Lillard is a Portland Trail Blazers legend. He has had many good years with them, and while he hasn't yet brought them a championship, he is still highly regarded by the franchise and the community.

While Lillard is currently is a Trail Blazer, he grew up watching the Golden State Warriors, as they are his hometown team. In a recent Reddit AMA, Damian Lillard was asked if it feels different to play against his hometown team. Lillard claimed that he tries to be at his best when playing the Warriors, and referenced a lot of his loved ones being at the game combined with the challenge of facing a really good team as reasons for that.

I wouldn't say I play harder, but ya know I would say I'm usually at my sharpest or trying to be at my best when I play against the Warriors.

Maybe a little because they're originally my hometown team, but because I have so many loved ones and friends and family in the crowd that's there to see me play, and it only makes it better that since I've been in the league the Warriors have been the best team in the league, so not only am I in front of the best challenge I'm going to see, with their team being so successful, and Steph Curry, ya know having a Hall of Fame career and being the greatest Warrior of all time, basically that's enough of a challenge, but to be facing that challenge in front of my family and friends who don't get to see me as often as they used to and don't get to see me play as often. Obviously I'm going to put forward my best foot and try to make a memory of it. So I guess the answer to the question is yes.

It makes sense that Damian Lillard would want to show up against his hometown team, especially in front of people that he cares about. A lot of players generally try to perform better in difficult or big matchups, and any game between Damian Lillard and Stephen Curry is bound to be exciting.

While Damian Lillard hasn't had the opportunity to play for the Warriors yet, during the summer, there were reports that the Warriors have "internally discussed" a trade for the superstar point guard. It's unlikely for the Warriors to make a move now, given their 18-3 start with their current squad, but nothing is impossible. It would be great to see Lillard get an opportunity to play for his hometown team, but as of now, that is not in the cards.


Post a Comment

0 Comments