Bradley Beal Fires Back At Critics Saying He Should've Left Wizards To Win: “I Feel Like If I Win A Championship Here In DC, With Everything I’ve Been Through, That Would Make A Win That Much Sweeter, Make Me Appreciate It That Much More."

View the original article to see embedded media.

After several rumors placed him on a host of teams, including the Los Angeles Lakers, Miami Heat, Boston Celtics, Dallas Mavericks, and even the Golden State Warriors, Bradley Beal decided to sign a massive contract extension with the Washington Wizards to try to compete in a stacked Eastern Conference. 

Following several months of speculation about his future, Beal decided to return to the Wizards, raising a lot of eyebrows around the league with his decision. Just like Damian Lillard, he vows to be loyal to his first and only team in the NBA, but not many people agree with that. 

Still, Beal isn't paying much attention to that. He knows he made the right decision, and even though not everybody seems to understand it, he's happy with that. Talking with Laura Schreffler of Haute Living, the shooting guard opened up on his decision, stating that it was a matter of loyalty.  

“People always look at me like I’m crazy, but I have a huge desire to want to make it work here and win here,” the shooting guard admits, noting, “This is the team that drafted me. They’re super loyal, I have a great relationship with ownership, and a great relationship with our front office. Plus, there’s not a lot of chances in the careers of NBA players to be notated as the franchise guy, you know? To be able to have that opportunity, to be able to be in a position to where I can write my own story, that’s everything.”

“Loyalty is definitely a huge factor for me. At the end of the day, basketball is a business. You see guys drafted to teams and traded shortly after, and sometimes, loyalty is questioned. I’ve never had that feeling [with the Wizards]. I’ve never had to have that particular cloud lingering over my head at any point in my career here. I love the fact that we’re always up front, that there’s always a straightforward conversation about where we’re going and what we’re doing.”

Not even the most optimistic Wizards fan believes the team can aspire to win the championship next season, but Beal knows that if he goes all the way, it'd mean a lot to him and would prove to people that he made the right decision. 

“I feel like if I win a championship here in DC, the grind of it, with everything I’ve been through, all the adversity and ups and downs, that would make a win that much sweeter, make me appreciate it that much more. And I do love the grind, and to sometimes go against the odds.”

Going deep in the playoff is a very difficult task for any team, let alone winning a championship. Beal is confident that he might make it during this new contract, but nothing is certain in the NBA. The Wizards only have him and a bunch of role players that won't make much noise. Perhaps a couple of moves can put him in the right place to compete for everything, but right now, that's mission impossible. 


Post a Comment

0 Comments