Patrick Beverley Told The Story Of How He And LeBron James Became Friends During Miami Heat Training Camp In 2010: "LeBron's Been Like A Big Brother To Me"

View the original article to see embedded media.

It's easy to forget that LeBron James is well on his way to becoming the most tenured player in NBA history. He is entering his 20th season in the NBA this year and has shown no signs of slowing down. If he continues at this pace, LBJ could surpass Vince Carter for most seasons played in the league. 

Many NBA players recognize the years of service LeBron has as his impact is all over the league. Not just through his actions on the court but in how he has helped talent out in small ways. Patrick Beverley is one NBA player LeBron helped out before anyone had any idea of what he'd become.

Earlier this year, Beverley spoke about the genesis of his relationship with LeBron. They met in 2010 after LeBron joined the Miami Heat. Beverley was a part of the training camp roster during LeBron's first year in Miami and decided to ask LBJ for help with his career on a mutual friend's recommendation. Thus, a friendship was born. The pair will be teammates in the upcoming season after Beverley was traded to LeBron's Lakers from Utah. 

"A lot of people don't know, LeBron's been like a big brother to me since before I entered the NBA. I was with the Heat when he made the decision to go over there. Good friend of his, Raymo, hits me up one day and says 'you should call LeBron. He can help you find your way in the league.' At the time, I am just a Summer League guy. I signed a 2-year contract but they can cut me at any time..."

"I called him one day, 'hey man, it's PatBev. I got your number from one of your good friends. If there's anything you can help me , on the court, off the court, I am a sponge man. Whether it is basketball, whether it's fatherhood, just help me with it'. This is young PatBev. He told me 'I appreciate the call lil bro, I got you forever.' Next day, training camp with the Miami Heat. I am guessing I don't know the number, but we did like 10 wall of touches. I looked at him, and he took off. I ran behind him for some extra credit and we've been locked in ever since. I got cut from the team, but we've kept in touch ever since."

Most of the veterans in the NBA today came into the league after LeBron had already established himself as one of the best players in the world. This is reflected in how LeBron used to visit players like Stephen Curry when he was a league MVP candidate during Curry's time at Davidson University. Beverley is no different, training with LeBron as James entered Year 7 of his career. 

Beverley will finally get a chance to fight by LeBron's side after not getting that opportunity in 2010 with the Heat as he got cut before the season. Hopefully, this season yields success for them together, as Beverley will be a free agent next season and could leave LA if things don't work out. 


Post a Comment

0 Comments