Kenyon Martin On When He Punched Richard Jefferson For Disrespecting Him: “He’s Like, ‘Man, F**k You.’ As Soon As He Gets In The Locker Room, I Dive On Him And Start Swinging.”

Kenyon Martin recalls the time he hit Richard Jefferson after he dropped an F-bomb on K-Mart.

View the original article to see embedded media.

Kenyon Martin is a well-respected former player in the NBA. He lived many great times during his career, but also starred in some controversies. The former No. 1 overall pick was ready to help the New Jersey Nets achieve big things in the league, but bigger teams stopped them from winning it all. 

Still, that never stopped Martin from giving his everything night in and night out, even if that meant holding teammates accountable, no matter what. That's what happened in 2002 when Martin got physical with a rookie Richard Jefferson after the latter dropped an F-Bomb on Martin. 

During a recent appearance on Showtime's Forgotten Seasons, K-Mart recalled this incident with the former player-turned-analyst, where he started throwing hands following RJ's disrespect. 


Kenyon Martin Throws Punches At Richard Jefferson For Telling Him 'F**k You'

Martin recalled that during a big loss to the Portland Trail Blazers, Jefferson couldn't keep it together, and when one referee warned Kenyon about a tech for his rookie teammate, the 2-year player took care of things. Unfortunately, RJ wasn't having any of that and quickly fired back at Martin. 

View the original article to see embedded media.

"Portland is kicking our ass. Richard is out there talking shit to Bonzi Wells. And the ref is like, 'I'm finna give him a tech. Kenyon, tell him to calm down.' I'm like, 'calm down, RJ. It ain't worth it.' He's like, 'man, f**k you.' I'm like, 'f**k me?' So I'm the first one in the locker room. As soon as RJ comes in the locker room, I dive on him and I start swinging. And Aaron [Williams] grabs me, Train was standing right by me, and as soon as I start swinging, Aaron grabs me. I got a few off, Train busted my lip. Hands down one of the strongest people I've ever been around. I was wired that way. I just didn't take no s**t from nobody, teammates or not. We've been great ever since that moment."

That was a very tense incident between the former teammates, but in the end, it all worked out for the Nets. Martin admitted that after that moment, they were great. Let's recall that the Nets went to back-to-back Finals, losing against the Los Angeles Lakers and San Antonio Spurs, respectively. Tough times create strong people and it seems like that was the case for those special nets. 


Post a Comment

0 Comments