Chauncey Billups Shares The Story Of How Dirk Nowitzki Destroyed Kevin Garnett In The NBA Playoffs

Billups relived the time when Garnett went up against the forward/center but wasn't successful in locking him up.

Credit: Fadeaway World

Chauncey Billups highlighted Dallas Mavericks legend Dirk Nowitzki's greatness by bringing one story from the vault.

Billups and Kevin Garnett played for the Minnesota Timberwolves together, and he felt the latter would always be one of the players who could contain Nowitzki, except that it never came to be.

An NBA fan posted a story of Billups reliving the time when Garnett went up against the forward/center but wasn't successful in locking him up all the time.

Chauncey Billups thought Kevin Garnett would lock Dirk up, he learned quickly that wasn’t going to happen.

The post read:

"I really thought KG was the best four-man in the league. And I thought he really was going to lock Dirk down. I think he averaged 30 and 15 on us. KG was talking as much stuff as he could. We tried everything, and it was like, this dude is just different. He's just different."

The big man was phenomenal during his time with Dallas helping them win their only championship. He was a versatile shooter and his fadeaway was dubbed as an unstoppable shot.


Dirk Nowitzki Didn't Want His MVP In 2007

Such was his stellar run in 2007 that he played an integral part in Dallas' 67 wins in the regular season, only to bow out in the first round of the playoffs.

Prior to that, he and the Mavericks were ousted in the NBA Finals against Dwyane Wade's Miami Heat in 2006. However, his pyrotechnics the following year rightfully earned him the MVP although he believed it wasn't the way. Speaking to Graham Bensinger:

"We are the heavy favorites to win it all, I'm feeling good, I'm playing my best basketball. And we run into a hot team with Golden State and we lose in the first round. And in a way, I was more disappointed and frustrated after that loss than I was after the Finals loss. That was, I think the low point of my career.

"And then I wanted to leave basically right away. I told the Mavericks that I was basically, I'm out of here, I'm frustrated. And then the NBA called and said, you can't leave. There might be a possibility that you'll win the MVP. And I was like, you've got to be kidding me. Of all the years, this year, I don't even want it right. Just keep it.

The good news is that the German eventually ended up winning a trophy and Finals MVP later in his career.

We sincerely appreciate and respect you as a reader of our site. It would help us a lot if you follow us on Google News because of the latest update.

Thanks for following us. We really appreciate your support.


Post a Comment

0 Comments