Michael Jordan Emotionally Revealed How His Father Was His Biggest Support System

It was unfortunate that James passed when Jordan was having a meteoric rise to the top.

Credit: Fadeaway World

There were two episodes in 'The Last Dance' that shed light on Michael Jordan's close relationship with his father, James R. Jordan Sr. 

The fly-on-the-wall Netflix documentary that charted the journey of Michael Jordan and the Chicago Bulls also covered the legend's bond with their parents and how his father's death left Jordan shattered.

Episodes 7 and 8 of 'The Last Dance' are emotional and poignant, and one of the scenes sees Jordan reveal how his father James was his biggest support system.

“He was my rock. He was always giving me advice.” 

After an ugly instance saw Jordan earn three suspensions in the ninth grade, his father gave his son an ultimatum: “mischievous stuff” or sports; your choice. 

“That’s all I needed to hear,” Michael says. “I never got in trouble from that point on.”

The emotions reached a crescendo when the Bulls won their fourth championship together by beating the Seattle Supersonics, and Jordan was later seen crying on the floor in memory of James, who had been murdered in July 1993.

He dedicated the championship to his father, and ironically, the game was played on Father's Day.

I can't even put into words. I know he's watching. To my wife and kids, to my mother, brother and sister, this is for Daddy."

Michael Jordan also spoke about where this accomplishment ranks for him, as he believes that this win is right up there for him, alongside becoming a father. Jordan continued:

"Well, this goes right up there to having my kids. My kids are the most important things to me and my wife, my family. But next to them, this is going to mean a lot to me because of what it symbolizes which is my father on father's day and it means a big deal to me."

It was unfortunate that James passed when Jordan was having a meteoric rise to the top, something that tugs a string in the latter's heart to date.


Michael Jordan Reveals How His Father Missed Some Of The Golden Moments In His Son's Life

James Jordan went missing on his return from a trip to visit with friends on July 23, 1993. A couple of weeks later, his red Lexus was found near Fayetteville, North Carolina, stripped for parts, and the back window busted out. 

His body was discovered in a creek in South Carolina, and investigations revealed he was shot in the chest. James' death plunged Jordan into grief, and while he subsequently came had better days, the Bulls star once revealed how his father has missed some amazing moments in his son's life.

According to ESPN:

He never met my fiancĂ©e. He never got to see my kids grow up. He died in ’93. Jasmine was a year old. Marcus was 3 years old. Jeffrey was 5 years old.”

The documentary showed a side of Jordan the world didn't know existed, and it's heartwarming to see the relationship he shared with his father.

We sincerely appreciate and respect you as a reader of our site. It would help us a lot if you follow us on Google News because of the latest update.

Thanks for following us. We really appreciate your support.


Post a Comment

0 Comments