Jay Williams Boldly Claims He Isn't Intimidated By Stephen A. Smith

"I wasn’t intimidated playing against Kobe Bryant, what the hell makes you think I’m gonna be intimidated going against Stephen A. Smith," Jay Williams said.

Jay Williams wasn't one to back down on the basketball court, and he's not going to be intimidated by anyone, not even Stephen A. Smith. But at the same time, he's got massive respect for the TV personality.

Speaking to Owen Poindexter on the Front Office Sports Today podcast, "I wasn’t intimidated playing against Kobe Bryant, what the hell makes you think I’m gonna be intimidated going against Stephen A. Smith," he said.

"I’ve played against some of the best athletes in the world, I’ve sparred with some of the smartest people on this planet…I don’t feel the need to back down from anybody and I think Stephen A. Smith is one of the best there is in TV, I also believe that I’m one of the best at what I do."

Williams and Smith had turned on the heat earlier on First Take over Kyrie Irving. Over the course of the show, the former asked the ESPN analyst if his constant criticism of the Dallas Mavericks guard was personal and that saw Smith go all guns blazing.

But he also added for good measure that he does know where he stands. “Stephen A. Smith is my boy, Stephen A. Smith is like a bigger brother to me,” Williams added. 

"What do brothers do? They fight sometimes…I know what the pecking order is. I know who the highest-paid man is on our network. I know the clout that he brings. Now that’s not gonna force me to back down from him, I’m gonna engage…I got nothing but love."

One thing's for sure, their on-screen chemistry, literally crackling will make for some solid content and insight on all things NBA.


Stephen A. Smith Was Livid At Jay Williams On First Take

Related to the event where Williams hit a nerve by calling out Smith for his relentless slamming of Irving, the latter said he was "pissed off" at the former Chicago Bulls star.

“In the case of Jay Williams, I was genuinely pissed off," Smith opined on The Mike Missanelli Podcast. “Jay Williams is a friend and a colleague and somebody that I’m pretty close to. On this particular morning, I don’t know who the hell he was. I don’t know what the hell happened that he would come at me in such a personal manner just because I was giving constructive criticism to Kyrie."

It surely won't be the last time these two will trade words, especially after Williams acknowledged that "brothers fight." 

It's interesting to see how Irving feels about all this. For now, expect some scintillating content on the show with these two gentlemen on.


Post a Comment

0 Comments