Jayson Tatum On Honoring Kobe Bryant With No. 10 At The Olympics: “It’s Not Something I Take Lightly.”

View the original article to see embedded media.

Jayson Tatum developed an incredible relationship with Kobe Bryant, learning a lot from the Black Mamba. The Boston Celtics young star is ready to defend Team USA in the upcoming Summer Olympic Games and honor the Los Angeles Lakers late icon. 

JT will don No. 10 in the tournament, just like Kobe did when representing the country. Now that he's gone, the 23-year-old is ready to carry his legacy in international basketball, wearing his famous number in Tokyo. 

“With this being the first Olympics since we lost him, it holds that much more value,” Tatum said, via Tim Reynolds of AP. “It’s not something I take lightly.”

This will be the second time the player dons Kobe's No. 10 for Team USA. He did it two years ago when he made the squad for the 2019 FIBA World Cup in Spain. 

Tatum recalls he wore that number for the first time when he was 15. 8 years later, things haven't changed. He's ready to honor KB24 and show the world what this team can do. 

“I remember that first team when I was hoping, wishing, that I got No. 10,” Tatum said. “Kobe, everyone knows that was my favorite player. I was 15 years old and got to wear the number of my favorite player. It just felt like I had some level of connection with him.”

Kobe won two consecutive gold medals in 2008 and 2012, respectively. After a failed tournament in 2004, Team USA landed in Beijing, trying to get revenge. Bryant led a very talented group, winning a memorable tournament in China 13 years ago. 


Post a Comment

0 Comments