Giannis Antetokounmpo Reveals Why He Doesn't Work Out With Other Players: "I Don't Want To Be Buddy With Them. If We Do This And Then Drink A Coffee With Them, Can I Go On The Court And Use My Elbows Against Them?"

DraftKings Nation

View the original article to see embedded media.

Giannis Antetokounmpo is known as one of the biggest competitors in the NBA, someone who gives it their all on the court. He is certainly one of the hardest workers, and it shows in his improvement over the course of his career.

In the NBA, a lot of players work out with one another during the offseason. There are definitely ways in which working out with other players can help someone improve. Players could definitely have a good influence on one another and push each other to get better.

However, Giannis Antetokounmpo doesn't work out with other players during the offseason unlike a lot of his peers. He has even turned down an opportunity to workout with LeBron James in the past. However, he has his reasons. A recent article from Eurohoops revealed Giannis Antetokounmpo's words on why that's his choice, and it seems as though the reality is that he "doesn't want to be buddy" with his competitors.

“I can’t be fake. I am Giannis. But calling me MVP, calling me champ, calling me the best player in the world, is something that might hold me back. And I don’t want anything holding me back. I want to look forward and be better. That’s why I don’t train with other players. I don’t want to be buddy with them. If we do this and then drink a coffee with them, can I go in the court and use my elbow against them? Can I block or dunk on them? I can’t cause I am authentic. If I love someone, I love him also on the court. I am fully aware of that and I don’t want to put myself in this position.”

There is no doubt that Giannis Antetokounmpo's intentions are to beat his competitors on the court and be able to try his hardest against everyone. It seems as though he believes that this can't happen if he becomes friends with his opponents. His position makes sense, as competing against friends can certainly be tough.

Giannis Antetokounmpo will face a tough road to win a championship this season, but knowing him, he's probably in the gym working to try and repeat. We'll see whether his efforts bear fruit next season, but even if they're not viewed as the favorite for the championship, the Milwaukee Bucks are a dangerous team with the former MVP.


Post a Comment

0 Comments