James Harden Spoke About Being In A Dark Place While Dealing With Injuries: "Mentally, It Was Very, Very Difficult For Me... A Lot Of Tough Times, Lot Of Dark Moments."

James Harden struggled mentally when he was injured but he's in a good place now.

Credit: Nick Turchiaro/USA Today Sports

View the original article to see embedded media.

James Harden finds himself in an interesting position at the minute. The Beard is aging out of his prime at this point and his chances to win championships are numbered. However, he's playing for a Philadelphia 76ers team that has every chance of making it to a ring. But a lot of that depends on Harden himself, and if he can go back to his best while playing the game. 

The Beard was an unstoppable force in Houston, tearing up defenses single-handedly as an offensive engine. When it became apparent that he wouldn't be able to win there though, things went downhill a little bit. Harden's health and conditioning were called into question, and he eventually left to join the Brooklyn Nets after a big trade. 

But things weren't quite good there either, Harden struggled with his weight as well as with injuries, both of which resulted in minimal success. With all the other drama in Brooklyn, Harden found himself traded again after just a season, this time to Philly for Ben Simmons, among other pieces. And after some initial struggles, he's ready to take the next step as a 76er.


James Harden On Being In A Dark Place Thanks To Injuries

There must be nothing more frustrating than being an elite player and being unable to perform at the highest level thanks to factors out of your control. On top of that, players like Harden also have to deal with intense media scrutiny. And Harden had a crisp response for a reporter who pressed him about his weight loss but got more real on media day when talking about dealing with and recovering from injuries

“For the most part, I’m to myself,” Harden said. “Media or whoever, they talk and shoot their little jabs and shots or whatever the case may be. And I never respond, just because I know who I am and I know what I’m about.

“But mentally, it was very, very difficult for me just because I’m in love with the game of basketball. If the money wasn’t involved, I’d be playing basketball. And before the injuries, I think everybody knows that. It was very difficult. 

"A lot of tough times, lot of dark moments, which I’ve never really went through because I was always healthy and playing the game of basketball. But I’m in a really good space and I feel like I’m back to where I needed to be, where I’m supposed to be. The feeling is great.”

James has a chance to rewrite the narrative entirely this season if he can get back to his best. He has a perennial MVP candidate in Joel Embiid next to him, and the Sixers have built a deep roster around the duo. Harden being ready is excellent news for Philly fans, and he will be hoping all the dark days are firmly behind him. 


Post a Comment

0 Comments