LeBron James Shared The Story Of When He First Met Michael Jordan

LeBron James once shared the story of when he met Michael Jordan for the very first time.

Credit: Fadeaway World

Michael Jordan and LeBron James are widely regarded as the two players vying for the title of the GOAT in basketball. Jordan dominated the game in stunning fashion in the 1990s, which led to many crowning him as the greatest, but LeBron's longevity and accomplishments have made this a hotly contested debate these days.

Growing up, LeBron looked up to MJ, just as most who grew up in that era did, and was in awe of him. James spoke about his admiration for Jordan during an appearance on The Late Show with David Letterman in 2006 and spoke about the first time he met him.

(starts at 3:40 mark):

"I loved Michael Jordan. The way that he approached the game, the way that he led his troops when he went out on the court, and his never say die attitude man was something I always looked up to."

“So I'm growing up watching this guy on TV every day and I'm like, 'Wow, he's an amazing basketball player, hopefully someday I get an opportunity to meet him.' I think it was my junior year in high school. I go up to Chicago and I go to a gym called Hoops, where he plays basketball in the summertime. I didn’t know he was gonna be there, but I seen him. I seen him walking towards me and it was kind of like he was walking on air. I had to pinch myself and (was like) ‘Is that Michael?’ And he was like black Jesus to me. I was like, 'Are you finally here?'"

When asked if Jordan knew him, James added, "Yeah I think he did, he called me 'Young fella.' Of course. Just basically told me to keep working at it and someday I can get to the NBA, I was in junior year high school so, I guess he told me something right and I kept working at it."

That encounter and interaction would have meant a lot to LeBron. It also speaks to his popularity among basketball circles that Jordan knew who he was, but he probably didn't think James would one day be mentioned in the same breath as him.


Kevin Durant Said Michael Jordan Is The GOAT While LeBron James Is The Most Accomplished

With LeBron inching closer to surpassing Kareem Abdul-Jabbar to become the all-time leading scorer in NBA history, debates on just who is really the GOAT are raging on. Dirk Nowitzki said he'd be running out of arguments for Jordan to be the GOAT if LeBron surpasses Kareem, and there are many who share that sentiment.

Kevin Durant also recently spoke on these two, stating that Jordan is the GOAT while LeBron is the most accomplished player. He added that it would be an incredible day when James passes Abdul-Jabbar, and we totally agree with him there.

We sincerely appreciate and respect you as a reader of our site. It would help us a lot if you follow us on Google News because of the latest update.

Thanks for following us. We really appreciate your support.


Post a Comment

0 Comments