J. R. Smith Regrets His Spending Habits: "We'd Rather Throw $60K In The Strip Club Than Feed 2,500 People"

  • J. R. Smith opened up on his regrets when it comes to his spending habits
  • He said that he and other NBA players would rather spend $60K in strip clubs
  • J. R. Smith said he could have fed 2,500 people in the neighborhood with the money he had instead

J. R. Smith had a long and fruitful NBA career, playing for 15 years for various teams like the Denver Nuggets, Cleveland Cavaliers, and Los Angeles Lakers. During that time, J. R. Smith made $90 million in NBA contracts alone. 

Known for being someone who enjoyed a party lifestyle, J. R. Smith spent a lot of that money on luxuries and other such things. His quote about NBA players' mindsets and his regrets regarding spending money has now gone viral. 

“I could have fed my whole community 10 times over with the money I was [paying in fines] for being late on the bus. We’d rather go throw $60K in the strip club than go feed 2,500 people in the hood,” he once said on the I Am Athlete podcast.

NBA players often come from backgrounds of poverty themselves and have hardly seen huge amounts of money before they make it to the NBA. Naturally, a lot of them want to spend that money on themselves. 

But J. R. Smith's words are a poignant reminder that those who make it out should probably take a look at how they can help the people less fortunate than they are. 


J. R. Smith Also Said The Things He Spent Money On Didn't Fulfill Him

Spending massive amounts of money at bars, on clothes, and other such short-term luxuries is a recipe for instant gratification. But when he spoke about this phenomenon, J. R. Smith also admitted that it didn't fulfill him meaningfully either. 

"Think about it, I can't sit here and be like, I'm a hypocrite, I've done this myself. I've thrown money in the club mindlessly, aimlessly drunk at a bar. Now, I sit back and I'm like, I'm a stupid a** 'n****'," he said on the same podcast. 

 J. R. Smith then added, "I was so wrapped into me, I got that Eurocentric mindset. I need this designer jacket, I need these jeans, I need this bookbag, I need to be looking like this cuz the vets got this, they got pushin' this car... Why? Who am I impressing, I'm not even fulfilled with me."

View the original article to see embedded media.

A lot of young NBA players can be sidetracked by the vast amounts of wealth they are exposed to at a young age. J. R. Smith's words are an excellent reminder of what matters in life. 


J. R. Smith Went Back To College After Retiring From The NBA

J. R. Smith isn't just a man who speaks and doesn't do. His journey for self-improvement after retiring from the NBA took him to different places, including a return to college. 

In 2021, J. R. Smith enrolled at North Carolina A&T State University. He went on to study liberal studies at university and even took time to play golf at the college level. 

J. R. Smith is the perfect example of a player who saw the highs of the NBA, made a lot of money, won two championships, and then decided to change his life anyway. 

The lessons he learned are valuable for the young NBA players of today, who can choose to live their own lives according to the wisdom of those who have gone before. 

We sincerely appreciate and respect you as a reader of our site. It would help us a lot if you follow us on Google News because of the latest update.

Thanks for following us. We really appreciate your support.


Post a Comment

0 Comments